Monday, March 07, 2005

Get a life.

Even Red Sox fans think this guy is an embarrassment.

My favorite part:

"Believe me, I know -- I get a lot of hate mail from Yankees fans because of my columns. I don't pay much attention to it, at least not until it builds up every month or so and I have to hire a crew to move the piles blocking my car in the garage."

Yeah, Caple pays so little attention to hate mail from Yankees fans that he writes an entire book about it.


The content of Caple's column (and, presumably, his entire book) is so off-the-mark and so unintelligent, that I won't even bother pointing outs its inaccuracies point by point. It's safe to say that each and every observation he makes about Yankee fans and sports in general is exactly the opposite of my experiences as a fan. For example:

  • I'm not in it to talk trash.
  • I understand 100% why people all over the world "hate" the Yankees. I also understand why Yankee-Hating puts so much money in Steinbrenner's pocket.
  • I enjoy both the "destination" and the "journey." By the way, when the Yankees have won the World Series in my lifetime, the "journey" has been quite exciting, thank you very much.
  • I don't exactly know why I sleep more soundly if I stay up until 1:30 am to hear the final out in a victory over Seattle, but please don't tell me that I don't savor every victory.
  • I can respect a fan of any team as long as they come correct.

Caple just doesn't know his ball. I could sit in a bar with Red Sox fans on my left and Mets fans on my right and we're not going to talk trash. We're going to talk lefty-righty splits and RISP BA and whether or not Nomar and Sosa and Kevin Brown can rebound. Caple will give us a blank stare and say, "ARod's a wussy."

My guess is that Caple's views are skewed because of his own psychological problems and because of all the hate mail he receives from Yankee fans (though I think it's also safe to say that Yankee fans don't have a monopoly on obnoxious behavior). It would be sort of like judging Typical Fans by listening to sports radio. Think about it. These are people who wait on hold for 90 minutes to tell Joe Benigno that Shawn Estes is going to win the NL Cy Young now that he's pitching at Shea.

Caple is bringing nothing to the table besides a 240-page "Yankees Suck." I could read that on the bathroom wall at Fenway. He's criticizing the vulgarity of Yankee fans, but he's not elevating the discussion one bit. Caple's not part of the solution, he's part of the problem.

Seriously, dude, see a therapist. You seem to be obsessing about Yankee fans a little too much. You're not hurting them, you're only hurting yourself.

No comments: