Monday, July 24, 2006

Paging Clay Bellinger.

"Phillips gives you a lot. He gives you versatility, so there's a certain advantage that when you pinch-hit, you can do certain things."

Phillips certainly doesn't hit well enough to consistently play first base and, while I haven't seen Phillips too much at the other infield positions, I have to presume that he's not a particularly gifted infielder.

Because, if he was a gifted infielder, he'd have a lot more value and he'd be playing somewhere in the big leagues by now, rather than playing backup first base for the Yankees.

I mean, he's not the worst player in the world, but he's also not helping much offensively.

With the fact that it takes the Yankees a lot to score runs here, I think it's obvious that they have to put a premium on offense.

Isn't that right, Mr. Torre?:

"With the fact that it takes us a lot to score runs here, I think we have to put a premium on defense," the manger [sic] said.

No comments: