Sunday, October 08, 2006

Give Peter Abraham a Pulitzer.

Just don't take him to Vegas with you:

"Last fall, as he contemplated leaving the job he has loved the most, Torre briefly wondered how all those books and the other keepsakes in his stadium sanctuary would fit into the trunk of his sedan.

For several days, friends now say, Torre planned to quit the Yankees and return to broadcasting. His relationship with George Steinbrenner had soured to the point where Torre felt unwanted.

...

Nearly a year later, Torre's office remains cluttered but his mind is clear. Now 66, he talks about managing the team into his 70s. A new coaching staff and an infusion of young talent have energized him, and his rapport with Steinbrenner is strong.

As the Yankees again head into the postseason, Torre is at peace.

...

'My wife keeps asking me when I'm coming home for good,' Torre said. 'I tell her I will when I stop having fun at this job. I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.' "

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take him to Vegas and give him a Pulitzer. Torre is staying.

Darren Felzenberg said...

True enough. I'd have put the odds at about 0.01%.

Apparently, the only way Torre can get fired is if he pulls down his pants in the dugout and takes a dump. Or maybe not even then.

I agree with Abraham that Torre is at peace. Most of the time, I can not even tell Torre is alive.

Still, the profile of a calm, happy, successful manager ready to manage into his seventies or until it stops being fun ... well, it seems goofy compared to the past week of tumult.

I'd also still put the under/over for the end of the Torre era at July 1, 2007.

It is gonna be bad in 2007. This team is completely bored out of their minds and now they probably don't even want to make the playoffs anymore.

Even Torre's biggest supporters must realize by now that he's sticking around for the $7 mill. He knows it's his last season and, even in 2006, he probably couldn't name ten players on the Tigers.

"Jimmy is a good manager, Pudgey is tough, Magglio-y is a good veteran, they got those young kids pitching and a veteran closer: Todd Something. Oh, yeah. Todd Jones. Or as I like to call him, Jonesy.

The Tigers scare me so much, I'm going to bat ARod 6th so he can mentally prepare for the ALCS, I will rest Mariano for the ALCS, and I will get Sheffield more fielding practice at first base for the ALCS."