Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I really don't understand why Morneau won ...

... but it had nothing to do with Alex Rodriguez.


I understand Sherman's point regarding Jeter's lack of leadership and I don't disagree.

But please remember that MVP voting occurs before the postseason even starts.

Even after Game One of the ALDS, Jeter was still 5-for-5 Cap'n Courageous and the Yankees were Murderer's Row & Robinson Cano.

A lot changes in three games.

The Yankees fell asleep against Detroit, ARod batted sixth and then eighth, clubhouse discord spilled out onto the field, and the leadership abilities of Torre and Jeter were called into question.

But the MVP votes didn't change one bit. The MVP votes were already locked up.


Also, second place in MVP voting is not a snub.

Jorge Posada was snubbed. Paul Konerko was snubbed. I'd say Miguel Tejada and Jimmy Rollins were snubbed relative to other players in their league at the same positions.

Derek Jeter came in second in the whole league.

It's an honor, not a snub.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but that guy sounds like an idiot. Jeter did not even have the overall best statistics. I guess the blame game continues.