Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Big Papi Backlash Begins.

In all seriousness, if you don't want the questions answered, then stop asking them.

Shut the whole sports reporting enterprise down and let the numbers speak for themselves:

"I love David Ortiz. I love the fact that he's a self-made megastar in Boston, a town tough enough to make New York seem warm and fuzzy. I love that he's the one remaining Red Sox icon who loves the hubbub of The Hub. I love that he returned from a heart ailment and picked right up where he left off, hitting home runs.

I love that he'll speak his mind, too."

I feel a "but" coming on.


"Except this one time, when he should keep his thoughts to himself."


A "but" or an "except."


"On Sunday, he went too far when he campaigned for MVP. I don't particularly like it when guys campaign for the Hall of Fame, but in the case of Cooperstown, at least they're not campaigning against anyone, just for themselves.

When you campaign for MVP, you're putting yourself ahead of other worthy candidates."


You've gone too far now, Big Papi. You've gone too far! You said you deserved the American League MVP award!


"I love David Ortiz."

"I don't like players who blah blah blah blah blah blah."

A lot of sportswriters really think the story is about themselves.


"If anything, Ortiz's words are going to put Jeter in an even more positive light, as the candidate who lacks any interest in glorifying himself (and by the way, the scoring call that so upset Ramirez and Ortiz was an error on Jeter that didn't cause him to complain). Jeter's response to New York writers was predictable. 'I'm not thinking about winning an MVP,' Jeter said. 'I'm thinking about winning the division. Our focus here isn't on individual awards.' Perfect."

I knew Ortiz would suffer a backlash and I find it amusing that, just three weeks ago, Ortiz was cherished for his forthrightness and fun attitude. (A five-game sweep will change a lot of perceptions, won't it?)

I also agree that it's simply the wrong thing to say. Boston could still make the playoffs and win the World Series if they have a good couple of weeks. No reason to indirectly criticize your teammates or to even worry about the AL MVP award.

But I still disapprove of Heyman's disapproval.

If guys like Heyman really want the players to "put up [their] numbers and pipe down," then let's base the MVP voting on the damned numbers.

Not how much you "love" the player or his postgame interview style.

No comments: