Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Football.

I can not help it. I'm bemused by the dialectical forces at work:

"The thing is, 'Do they win?' Davis always told me, 'Here's how you judge a quarterback: Can he take his team down the field with the game on the line and get them in the end zone?'"

Nice drive at the end of the first half. Yes, indeed.

But, in the fourth quarter, on 3rd and 17, the Giants called for a screen pass. On 3rd and short, they opted to run the ball. Twice.

With the game on the line, the Giants played it safe and, as far as I can recollect, he did not get his team in the end zone.

Which is fine as long as your team wins, I suppose. Relying on your defense is not a bad strategy when your quarterback is below average.


Now, do you want to hear Ernie Accorsi go completely mad after his QB throws for 170 yards in a playoff game? Then, buckle up:

"I still think he's the best of the three (quarterbacks), but that's another story."

...

"He's going to win championships for this franchise. Whether Eli becomes his brother, it doesn't matter. Winning championships is all that matters."


Maybe he just misspoke, but Accorsi (sp?) just said that Eli will win more than one championship with the Giants.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Because Tom Brady is not retiring anytime soon, as far as I know. Neither is Peyton Manning. Neither is Ben Roethlisberger or freakin' Vince Young, for that matter.

In fact, for every year that Eli plays for the Giants, the AFC will exist.


Also, if winning championships is all that matters, then why is everybody getting all gleeful about making the Final Four?

You think the Giants will beat the Patriots this year? I sure don't. If they don't, then Eli will be 0-3 in the playoffs.

No comments: