Saturday, July 31, 2004

Lupica offers insight into the Nomar situation that you can bank on.

Mike Lupica from Feb. 27, 2004:

This really is something that should never happen, and is a long way off if it does. It should never happen because if the Red Sox are smart, they will sign Nomar Garciaparra to a new deal before the baseball season even starts.

...

Again: For all his hurt feelings about the Red Sox shoving him out of the way to go after A-Rod, I believe Garciaparra wants to play his whole career at shortstop for the Red Sox the way Jeter wants to play his whole career at shortstop for the Yankees. Provided, of course, the Yankees don't shove him out of the way for A-Rod somewhere down the road. I believe Fenway is still where Garciaparra's heart is, and where he belongs.

...

I'm not trying to negotiate his new Red Sox contract for him. I believe that the Red Sox owners, even the way they allowed themselves to be pushed around by clerks from the Players Association on their own A-Rod deal, are smart enough to know that they need to make things right with Nomar now. And probably will.

How can I remember a Lupica article from February? I don't know. I guess I'm a Lupica savant.

Lupica says outrageous things in just about all of his columns -- one time, Lupica actually said that Mike Cameron was a better defensive CF in Seattle than Ken Griffey, Jr. -- I swear, Lupica actually said this -- maybe conveniently ignoring the TEN GOLD GLOVES THAT KEN GRIFFEY, JR. WON IN SEATTLE -- TEN!!! -- IN A ROW!!! -- okay, calm down, Felz -- and each stupid statement is like a fork in my brain.

You don't forget a fork in your brain.


No comments: