Thursday, January 13, 2005

Randy Johnson doesn't like me.

"He does not embrace you, Yankee fans, or anything else about your pastime loyalties. Johnson comes to the Bronx as a fireballing mercenary with a heart as stone-cold as Roger Clemens'.

You remember Clemens, right?"

Yeah, damn straight I remember Clemens. One stone-cold heart, zero friends, one boyfriend/teammate, one Cy Young Award, and two Championship rings with the Yankees. Lord willing, Randy Johnson will pitch as well for the Yankees.


I find Unit's press conference candor amusing simply because Lupica has been pointlessly sneering at Unit for a few weeks now, "accusing" Unit of being greedy. Well, everybody's greedy. But why can't Unit at least be honest about his greed? Like Pedro Martinez?

Then, Unit says the following at his press conference:

"A lot of people were saying that this is something that I wanted all along," Johnson said in his Stadium news conference. "Well if that was the case, I could have been here in '98. Instead I signed with the Diamondbacks - just something, food for thought.

"It's worked out in this situation (with the Yankees) for a few reasons, contract extension, what have you."


My question for Lupica is: When did Randy Johnson ever claim that he cared about Yankee tradition? When did he claim that he always wanted to be a Yankee?

It's a notion that is just completely made up by Mike Lupica. Or maybe Lupica heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend of one of his baseball "sources." I'm sure Lupica will shake it off and find many other reasons to dislike Randy Johnson. He's greedy, he's ugly, he's a hick, he's surly, he's tall, he has a moustache, he's not a Met, he's not Paul O'Neill, he's a dreaded mercenary who doesn't like me.

Am I supposed to care? It doesn't bother me in the least. If I want a friend, I'll buy a goldfish.



No comments: