Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Wishy Washy Wojciechowski.

I was quite taken aback when I first read this article which criticized Sammy Sosa for retiring.

The article concludes with an impassioned plea for Sammy Sosa, and seemingly all pro athletes, to continue attempting to play until the bitter end, even if they're long past their glory days:

"He doesn't understand there is no dishonor in trying and failing. The dishonor comes when you don't try at all."

Okay, whatever you say.

I personally think pro athletes should do whatever they want to. Retire tomorrow at the peak of your skills or play as long as you can, at any level, for any amount of money. I have equal respect for Barry Sanders and Rickey Henderson. It's a free country.

But I also thought something seemed fishy.

Pro athletes are routinely criticized for staying past their welcome and Ruining our Collective Memories. We want Willie Mays to always catch the fly ball in the '51 World Series rather than eking out infield hits in the '73 World Series.

"Fie upon thee, Michael Jordan! You should have ended with the jumpshot that beat the Jazz and elevated my own mundane life. Instead, as I'm forced to watch you stumble to a mere 20 points per game, I am forced to face my own mortality. Oh, the fecundity of youth fades from my grasp!"

Or something to that effect.

Wojciechowski criticized Sosa for putting pride ahead of a last-ditch money grab? Gee, I would have figured that Sosa already had enough money and the last thing he needs to do is embarrass himself or the Washington Nationals. I mean, he's only being offered a non-guaranteed contract that's barely league minimum. Sheesh. How the mighty have fallen.

But, hey. If he wants to play in the minors and try to find his stroke, why not?

Point being, this seemed like an odd opinion. I figured if I searched the ESPN archives, I could find puh-lenty of examples where Wojciechowski criticized a pro athlete for not retiring. But I never did search the archives.

I didn't have to.

Amazingly enough, Wojciechowski waits a whole three days before writing that contradictory article: "Barry should spare us all and go away now."

Could this possibly have been written by the same author?:

"So Barry Bonds is going to hang up his cleats and violin after this season, eh? Good for him. Good for us.

Not since Reggie Jackson and the 'magnificence of me' days has there been a player more tone deaf when it comes to understanding how tiresome his martyr act has become.

As for getting out, the sooner the better works for me."

Wow. But at least Bonds is honorable enough to try.

No comments: