Wednesday, June 07, 2006

More defensive than Melky Cabrera.

I think somewhere in here, Willie Randolph probably makes a good point about putting team goals ahead of personal goals.

Still not sure why he didn't use Wagner:

"When your mentality is winning, you do what it takes to win the game. It's not about personal goals for anyone. He's my closer and I want him to get as many saves as he can get. "

Okay, but why didn't you use Wagner?

"That's fine, just like you want guys to get home runs, base hits, whatever, okay. I'm not thinking about one inning, one play."

Okay, but why didn't you use Wagner?

"I'm not trying to follow any shape or form. I'm not trying to be like anybody. I'm just trying to go by what I know about baseball and my team. I never believe in conforming to any type of tradition or standard of doing things."

Good for you. Why didn't you use Wagner?

"I understand what a save means. I understand that players like saves, closers like saves. But I like wins."

I like wins, too. Why didn't you use Wagner?

"What's unconventional about it? Unconventional in that you buy into the whole theory that if a save situation comes up (Wagner) has to have that?"

Yes, unconventional in that you buy into the whole theory that if a save situation comes up (Wagner) has to have that.

"I don't come from that. I come from winning. Winning the game. That's all I come from. I let my guys have their stats and everything but that means nothing to me."

Oh, now I get it. You thought using Billy Wagner was going to hurt your team's chances of winning. That's all you had to say.

No comments: