Monday, July 16, 2007

A regular Knute Rockne.

This sounds like a leader ready to inspire his team to a second-half playoff run:

"Losing is tough enough, but having to explain it when a lot of times you can't explain it, that's tough. Then you throw in the issue of, 'Are you afraid of losing your job?' and all of that, you have to address it and I understand it, but it gets a little old. I'll never be sorry about that [coming back to manage in 2007], because I was enthusiastic coming in. Just because things don't fall into place the way you want, you can't say, 'I wish I didn't do it.' If I didn't do it, I never would have known. If I had sat home, I'd have always wondered if I could have made a difference one way or the other. When I think about winning four out of five World Series, how the hell did that happen? This game is very tough to be competitive all the time, and things like this happen. If it's my last year and this is the way it ends, it's not going to put a damper on my time here because so many good things have happened."

Not only is Torre living in the past, he's referring to the '07 season in the past tense.

No comments: