Monday, June 27, 2005

Randolph dances on Yankees' graves.

For the manager of a team that's in last place, Willie Randolph has no problem casting aspersions on his former employer:

"My contribution to a lot of teams is not something you see. It's behind the scenes. It's one-on-one, very subtle."

I'll say your contributions are subtle. Your team added Beltran and Pedro and has the same record as Team Howe.


Okay, Willie. Maybe you felt underappreciated during your tenure with the Yankees.

As long as you don't criticize Torre's or Girardi's or Mattingly's or Stottlemyre's ability to teach players how to win and how to play day-to-day baseball:

"Teaching players how to win and how to play day-to-day baseball is hard work, but it's very much between the ears."

Oh, snap! No you di'nt!


"Let me say that my relationship with those guys over there is special. Like I miss them, I think they miss me. Let's leave it like that. That's all."

I should hope that's all. Let's leave it like that. Stop talking. You've said enough already, haven't you?


Since we're changing the topic, I was wondering if ...

"I don't think I'm the direct result of wins and losses. I'm not going to say that."

You kind of just said that.

Or maybe you're just the indirect result of wins and losses.

Also, if you're not the direct result of wins and losses, can the Mets get their money back? Is there some sort of 100-game return policy for managers?


But, again, since we're changing the topic, I was going to ask you if ...

"But what I bring to a team is not the tangible stuff that goes unnoticed and people don't really think about."

Say what?

I'm not sure where the [sic] goes in this sentence.

Does the [sic] go after "tangible," because he brings "intangible stuff that goes unnoticed"?

Or does the [sic] go after "unnoticed," because he brings "the tangible stuff that goes noticed"?

Contextually, I think he means to say, "But what I bring to a team is the intangible stuff that goes unnoticed and people don't really think about."

So we've got two [sics]: One after the "not," which should be removed entirely, and one after the word "tangible," which should say, "intangible."

Phew. Now I have a headache.

Randolph definitely learned one thing from Torre. He learned how to talk crazy to the press.

No comments: