Friday, April 14, 2006

You meanies leave George alone.

Does anybody want to hear about my latest business trip? I didn't think so. It's very uninteresting stuff to anybody except me. Actually, it's also very uninteresting to me.

Two-hour drive each way and overnight at a Something-Or-Other Suites. Nothing special. Cable TV and free Contintental breakfast.

I partially achieved my goals, but not fully.

Naturally, my boss only cares about the bottom line, not the free Continental breakfast.


I only bring it up because I still don't know why Randy Johnson left yesterday's game so early. I read many articles about Randy Johnson leaving yesterday's early, but nobody gets to the bottom line.

As an example, Steve Politi explains what it's like to interview Randy Johnson, but doesn't ever answer the question.

Don't you have an inside source, or something? Don't you even have an opinion? A best guess? Is it a stiff shoulder, a tired arm, or just a cautious manager? I know it's one of the three and I didn't even watch the game on television.

Are you going to do your job and provide this information or are you seriously just going to write an article where you complain because Randy Johnson is a tough interview?


Similarly, Bob Raissman chronicles the difficult life of sportswriters yet again as they try to penetrate George Steinbrenner's fortress.

Everybody's got a tough job. Nobody cares about your problems:

"The timing of the protection often is curious. Early in spring training, Steinbrenner was tooling around in his golf cart, doing shtick with writers. He even mock-mugged Ch. 9 sport guy Russ Salzberg and ran over WFAN Yankee reporter Sweeny Murti's foot.

Still, more often than not, Steinbrenner, like some pin-striped Wizard of Oz, can be found hiding behind Rubenstein press releases.

This is now officially a joke."

How does a joke officially become a joke? Is there a review board, or something?

I thought of one this morning in the shower. What the heck was it? Oh, yeah ... heh, it's kind of stupid.

For some reason, I thought it would be funny to replace the word "Gibb" with the word "glib." Like with the Bee Gees. So you could have a Variety Show where you made fun of the Gibb Brothers, but instead it was the Glib Brothers. Naturally, everything they said was glib.

I know it's not much of a joke, but I'd still like to initiate the process to make it official. It definitely needs to be fleshed out, but it might be good enough for Mad TV.

No comments: