Monday, January 21, 2008

So not the same as Yankees / Red Sox.

I don't detect any rivalry between the Giants and the Patriots, though I'm not the best person to ask. I honestly didn't even know the Cowboys were the Giants' big rivals. I thought it was the Eagles or the 49ers:

"New England is now the old Yankees, an immoveable juggernaut that expects dominance and demands championships. The Giants are the new Red Sox, a loose franchise of why-not dreamers that needed three road victories just to reach the Super Bowl."

The Giants are basically nothing like the '04 Red Sox. The Red Sox had not won a World Series in ... how many years was it? ... I think it was 86 years, if I remember correctly.

I may not be sure because I only heard about it 100 billion times.


Oh, and the Giants absolutely have something to lose. It's called a football game. It's why they keep score.

I should also point out that it's so much more than just a football game. It's a battle between New York and New England, underdogs and soul-crushing juggernauts, bagels and clam chowder, blah blah blah and blah blah blah.

Two ways of life, really. America's future is at stake. It's the difference between Immortality and Infamy:

"Which is why this isn't just a Super Bowl clash, but something bigger. Fair or not, New England's quest for perfection changes the stakes for this game. The Patriots either win and enjoy immortality or lose and suffer infamy."

I realize I care more about baseball than the other sports, but I'd give the Patriots the next ten straight Super Bowl Championships in exchange for one Yankee win vs. Baltimore in mid-July.

No comments: