Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I hope one day I can play poker with Larry Brooks.

"I am betting a lot of money. This indicates I have an excellent hand. Therefore, if you don't have a similarly excellent hand, you should fold. Because I have an excellent hand and, if you match my bet, you will lose a lot of money.

Think about it, Larry.

Why would I bet a lot of money if I didn't have an excellent hand? It makes no sense":

"Now, that doesn’t mean it’s appropriate for Cashman to go out and get Roy Oswalt, who may not be a fit moving from the NL Central to the AL East; or Ted Lilly, who might not be able to keep the ball in the ballpark; or Brett Myers, who has the Type A personality the Yankees would be wise to avoid.

It does mean, however, that if Mitre goes his usual four innings-plus in his first couple of starts, Cashman would be obliged to acquire an arm who could get the Yankees through six innings and then move into the bullpen upon Pettitte’s return to health and the rotation."

The Yankees are going to make a move for a mediocre pitcher and Brian Cashman, like every other GM in the history of everything, isn't obliged to tip his hand.

It's funny that Cashman acquired ARod under-the-radar almost got Cliff Lee under-the-radar, but then Larry Brooks expects Cashman to advertise the Yankee pursuit of ... Ted Lilly?

No comments: