Friday, May 25, 2012

I don't think it's possible for Mark Teixeira to swing harder, but he is going to try to swing harder.

“I’m putting too many balls in play instead of taking that swing to hit a home run and drive the ball,” Teixeira said. “I’ve never been someone who just wants to put the ball in play. In years past, a 1-0 or a 2-0 pitch, it’s maybe a little bit up or a little bit down, you swing and you foul it off or you swing and miss. Now I’m putting that ball in play, which (stinks).

“I go back to Kevin Long and I say, ‘Why couldn’t I just foul that ball off?’ It’s unfortunate. Baseball is such a fine line between having a good at-bat and hitting the ball hard or making an out. … While last year 39 home runs but a low batting average wasn’t good enough, I think I’d rather hit 39 home runs than 20 or 15. I think I’d rather drive in 111 runs than 80. So I’m going to be more aggressive.”

No comments: