Friday, August 24, 2012

AL MVP for a player with 43 runs batted in.

"Shortstop leads all of baseball in hits and third in AL with .324 batting average and is playing some of the best ball of his career, so why not Jeter for American League MVP?"

Since you asked, I'll give you three quick reasons:

1) "Number of hits" is not a particularly important stat.

2) Mike Trout.

3) Miguel Cabrera.


To offer some perspective, decrepit Alex Rodriguez has 170 fewer at-bats, but Alex Rodriguez has more homeruns, more runs batted in, and the same slugging percentage.

Also, the Yankees seemingly can't win without Alex Rodriguez.

Therefore, Alex Rodriguez for AL MVP.


Jeter sounds sensible speaking for himself:

"When that season is brought up now, Jeter tries to brush it off, but it’s clear that the perception that he had a terrible season bothers him.

'I hit .270, man. You know? Sorry,' Jeter said. 'One time I hit .270 and it’s like it was the end of my career. I think every player probably at some point in their careers had a year where they weren’t satisfied. I had a lot more than just one that I haven’t been satisfied with. I know that year has gotten a lot of attention, but you still have to have confidence that you can play.' "



I guess the human brain is attracted to extremes. Jeter has been a great player for a long time, but he's not the "greatest player ever." Jeter had a subpar year, but it wasn't that bad. When he rebounds in 2012 and hits over .300, it doesn't mean he's the AL MVP.

No comments: