Thursday, June 24, 2021

The intentional walk in the ninth inning was the worst managerial strategic decision I have ever seen.

"Chapman, who did not allow an earned run in his first 18 appearances, blew his third save in his last eight opportunities. He issued a bases-loaded walk to rookie back-up catcher Sebastian Rivero, who has yet to get a major league hit, to tie the game.

After a long meeting on the mound with the infielders, Yankees manager Aaron Boone made the decision to intentionally walk Carlos Santana. It was a decision that Chapman disagreed with, Boone admitted.

 'I just made the decision. You know, frankly, when I got back to the bench,' said Boone. 'I just felt like the matchup called for it and I didn’t want to get caught in a situation of pitching around and now all of a sudden you got a wild pitch scenario and we’re tied. So I just felt it was the right move. Obviously backfired a little bit, but I just felt like it was the right thing to do in the moment.'"

 Boone does not deserve to be let off the hook by his team's bottom-of-the-ninth comeback. As for Chapman, is a fraudulent Choke Job Walk Machine.

No comments: