Saturday, July 25, 2026

I remember when Suzyn Waldman would praise Anthony Rizzo for his well-timed visits to the mound to calm down the pitcher.

“I’m sure in a lot of ways, it weighs on you when you’re capable of more offensively,” Boone said. “But especially at that position, you’ve got to be able to separate. And he’s done a good job of that.”

I mean, sure. I hope an opposite field 430-foot home run gets him started. There is nowhere to go but up.

As for his supposed defensive prowess, the dubious stats back it up. The defensive WAR is high.

Is he throwing out runners trying to steal bases? No. May not be his fault.

Is he calling a good game? I don't know. When the Yankees have good pitchers on the mound, he probably calls a good game. When they have Fernando Cruz on the mound, he suddenly instructs the pitcher to walk a lot of batters.

He doesn't seem to be too good at blocking pitches.

In any case, there is no argument that can possibly be made that his defense compensates for his offense.

The Yankee Manager is an encouraging guy who will never bad mouth his players. "At least he's not as bad defensively as he is offensively" is quite an amazing thing to say. 

No comments: