Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The right arms of Tanyon Sturtze and Scott Proctor would disagree with your assessment.

I'm very disappointed in the attitude of this Yankee team. It reminds me of the last three Torre years.

In other words, Girardi's biggest problem is that he's too much like Torre.

While few predicted the rise of the Rays, it was obvious that Torre was gettin' out while the gettin' was good. It's his prerogative, of course, thought it's a bit unseemly for him to act like the Yankees low-balled him with the highest managerial contract in MLB history.

It makes me want to puke that Torre landed in the worst division in divisional history, but I'll concede that success is relative in pro sports. I'd rather be the Dodgers than the Yankees right now. Not that the Dodgers are better, but they're certainly in better playoff shape.


I was tempted to comment on the this article in-depth.

Instead, I focused on the very last sentence, which blew me away:

"Thanks to the Yankees, Torre is once again looking like the smartest man in baseball."

Consider an enterprise with thousands of players, coaches, managers, scouts, executives, agents, owners, umpires, and hot dog vendors.

None of them are smarter than Joe Torre.

He's the smartest man in baseball.

Again.

Like he was before.

When he was widely regarded as the smartest man in baseball.

No comments: