Monday, July 16, 2007

I was actually wondering about Ruben Gotay.

I saw a headline about Ruben Gotay and I thought it may be a nice change of pace. These writers with all this access and they very seldom scratch below the surface.

So, what does Mike Lupica have to say about Ruben Gotay?

I'm all ears:

"Gotay is the New York baseball season that is, amazingly, not about Alex Rodriguez and where he will make his $30 million next season.

...

He is in the shadows of A-Rod, the way just about everybody who plays baseball in New York is these days. Gotay makes what he makes in salary at a time when everybody else talks about the salary records that A-Rod is supposed to break, either here or someplace else.

But A-Rod is not the whole baseball season, no matter how much speculation about where he chases his own dreams, usually ones covered by dollar signs, completely dominated by them, next year. Maybe he will decide he is happier here, if the money is right.

Ruben Gotay, who wasn't supposed to be anywhere near A-Rod, or Jeter, or Wright, or Reyes, is happy right where he is. Batting second, playing second, Shea Stadium, New York."

I have my own dream: Witnesssing a Yankee player hit 50 home runs and drive in 150 runs. I doubt if I will ever witness this. But ARod '07 has a shot.


As for the quixotic prose for a backup infielder who earns a mere $400k to play a kids' game: If Ruben Gotay could hit like ARod, Ruben Gotay would get paid like ARod.

No comments: