Monday, March 07, 2011

I think Alex Rodriguez will have a productive 2011 season.

I think his hip has hampered him quite a bit for two seasons and I don't think his power is particularly hampered by the absence of performance-enhancing substances. I also don't think his age is much of an issue at all.

Having said that, I have witnessed exactly one instance in my lifetime where a Yankee hit 50 HRs and drove in 150 runs in one season:

" 'As I said, he's doing things I haven't seen since 2007.'

Long understands the significance of putting that out there. A-Rod, you might recall, had a pretty decent season in '07, hitting .314 with 54 home runs, 156 RBI and a .645 slugging percentage - all major-league highs - on his way toward winning his third American League MVP award.

Because of the hip surgery in the spring of '09, and because Rodriguez turns 36 in July, it's hard to believe he could approach such power numbers again. Yet it's also hard not to notice that he has come out pounding the ball early in spring training games, hitting a handful of lasers to the outfield gaps already, and then the home run that raised his average to .462."


Cool. It's Spring Training and ARod is hitting .462. As we all know, this means he'll probably win the AL MVP.

That's all for today. More baseball analysis tomorrow from John Harper.

No comments: