Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Old School.

“ 'I let [the win] go,' said Burnett, who allowed seven runs and 13 hits in 4 1/3 innings. 'They didn’t beat me, I lost the game. I wished somebody would have grabbed me and shook me. I tried not to lose the game.'

As Burnett was giving up hit after hit, none of the infielders visited him on the hill to pat him on the back or simply give him a breather. The frustration surfaced when he slapped the ball in Joe Girardi’s hand leaving the mound and in the tunnel from the dugout, where he ripped his shirt off."

I have a vision in my head. It's Goose Gossage sitting in the dugout after a tough loss. Or Bob Gibson. Or Don Drysdale. Or Ron Guidry.

Sweat-soaked and angry, Goose sits at his locker staring into a group of reporters. From his pursed lips underneath his handlebar mustache, he explains his disappointing outing with the following words:

"None of the infielders visited him on the hill to pat me on the back or simply give me a breather."

No comments: