Wednesday, September 04, 2024

If you walk a batter, the run will score. Yankee relievers should live by that motto.

I'm not defending Holmes. When the closer is bad, the losses are bad.

I don't understand the walks. I think it's more than just a lack of focus or a lack of ability. I think it's a strategic shortcoming throughout the entire Yankee team, and maybe throughout MLB.

I also don't think anyone else on this team would be better-suited as a closer. If the struggles continue, we might see Rodon try to close out a game in the playoffs. Maybe it works, who knows? I know for sure that the drama will build with a lot of full counts and fifteen-pitch at-bats.

As for last night's game:

  • I also think Boone made a mistake by pitching Holmes the previous night. A lot of pitches over two nights.
  • The LeMahieu error is typical of this team and, if he isn't a reliable fielder, then he has no place on the roster.
  • The mental baserunning blunder by Chisolm. What is up with this stuff?

A walkoff grand slam obliterates a lot of good things in a baseball game. It also masks a lot of the other problems that just gave runs to the other team or took runs off the board for your team.

No comments: