Thursday, June 11, 2009

No end in sight. No end in sight. No end in sight.

"It seems like a million years ago since the Yankees left spring training, convinced they had the talent, the chemistry and the winning pedigree to finally crash the walls of the Red Sox’ empire."

"A million years ago."

Sound like a five-year-old's first attempt at writing.


"The AL East has belonged to Boston since 2004, but the Bombers were willing to bet every last cent of their $200 million payroll that a coup was coming."

The AL East has belonged to Boston since 2004? Didn't the Tampa Rays win the AL East in 2007? Oh, yeah. They did.

Didn't the Yankees win the the AL East in 2005 and 2006? Oh, yeah. They did.

No matter.

I think it's Klapisch's clumsy way of saying the Red Sox have been more cumulatively successful than the Yankees in the years 2004 - 2009.


Coming out of Spring Training, I really didn't think the Yankees were a lock to win the AL East in 2009. I don't think most people did.

I changed my mind, though, when I got my first scorecard at Yankee Stadium. I learned a lot in an article by some guy named Bob Klapisch. I learned that the Awesome Yankees had the Best Infield in the History of Major League Baseball.


"Two-a-half months later, the Yankees are dazed and confused, wondering what happened to that limitless reservoir of self-confidence."

One game back of the division lead and in the lead for the wild card.


"They’re 0-7 against the Red Sox with no end in sight."

Sabathia beats Penny tonight and the Yankees are tied for first place.

The end is probably in sight.

You might have to wait one whole day.

No comments: