Tuesday, November 15, 2005

2005 NL MVP.

Thanks to all my friends who participated in my polls, even the person who voted for Scott Rolen.


I'm all for fielding. I think fielding is good. Speed is also a good thing, I suppose.

Having said that, I'd like to point out that Jose Reyes had an on-base percentage of .300. He's Tony Womack at shortstop. In the entire universe of major league ballplayers, he's one of the handful of players you'd most want up with the game on the line ... if you're on the opposing team.

Somehow, he received a fourth-place vote in my poll and a tenth-place vote in the writers' poll.

Now, I realize he scored 99 runs and that's pretty good. It's among the top ten in the league, that's true.

However, that statistic does not prove that Jose Reyes adds a lot of value to a baseball team. It proves that just about anybody can score 99 runs if they bat leadoff on a professional baseball team.


I feel compelled to point out that I have no recollection of the existence of Scott Eyre, who received one tenth-place vote. Then, when I looked up Scott Eyre's stats, I found out that he was 2-2 with 0 saves.


Other than the top three, the NL MVP results were all over the map:

Them
Us
Albert Pujols
378Albert Pujols
39
Andruw Jones351Andruw Jones
30
Derrek Lee263Derrek Lee
27
Morgan Ensberg150
Carlos Lee4
Miguel Cabrera
146Scott Rolen
3
Carlos Delgado
84Jimmy Rollins
3
Pat Burrell
65Bobby Abreu2
Chris Carpenter
52Jason Bay2
Brian Giles
48Miguel Cabrera
2
Jimmy Rollins
45Roger Clemens2
Dontrelle Willis
42Ken Griffey Jr.2
Scott Podsednik
15
Carlos Delgado
1
Jason Bay
41Morgan Ensberg1

Chase Utley22
Jose Reyes
1

Lance Berkman21



Bobby Abreu
21



Chad Cordero
21



Trevor Hoffman
19



Carlos Lee
19



Jeff Kent
18



David Wright
18



David Eckstein
15



Roger Clemens
8



Roy Oswalt
6



Ken Griffey Jr.
5



Andy Pettitte
5



Jim Edmonds
3



Cliff Floyd
3



Marcus Giles
3



Adam Dunn
3



Scott Eyre
1



Brad Lidge
1



Jose Reyes1



No comments: