Sunday, September 30, 2007

The letter I almost wrote to Michael Kay.

Then I decided the last thing I needed was a conversation with Michael Kay.

Or an FBI trail of my emails to Michael Kay.

Besides, I've got a blog!:

"Hi Michael Kay,

Why did you stop describing uniforms? That was cool. You should start doing that again.

This is more of a correction than a question.

Earlier this week, you were defending Willie Randolph's 'winning pedigree' by pointing out his collection of six Championship rings.


Was Randolph third base coach for the Torre-era rings? I don't actually remember. Maybe bench coach. Maybe first base coach. Basically, not playing and not making any important decisions. Meh.

As a player, Randolph hit .222 in the playoffs, .181 in the World Series, and even worse in 1977.

Randolph didn't even play in the 1978 playoffs -- I'm sure you remember Brian Doyle filling in. Brian Doyle hit over .400 and is so famous as a result, Mets broadcaster Ron Darling recently referred to him as Denny Doyle. Which is pretty close. Darling got one name right and, for Darling to remember one of your names, you must have done something quite astonishing.

Yesterday, Keith Hernandez forgot the name of the closer on the Phillies. That was funny. You'd probably never forget the name of the closer on the Phillies.

Regards,
Felz"

No comments: