Saturday, April 12, 2008

Deep down, I probably do miss Torre.

Because it's kind of fun to be infuriated.

Though it was nice to have a manager who didn't refer to David Ortiz as "Big Papi."


Does anybody else have a hunch that Joe Torre has never even met Bob Gibson?

I have heard so many Bob Gibson stories, it is starting to sound like a guy who's a virgin and explains his imaginary sexual exploits in unsolicited excruciating detail:

“You really can’t concern yourself with who you’re pitching against,” Torre said. “I remember Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver going against each other when Seaver was a young pitcher, and early in his career he wasn’t as (successful) as he was later because he was pitching against Gibson—and Gibson was pitching against the Mets.”

So, what you're saying is that early in Seaver's career, Seaver wasn't as successful as he was later in his career.

Because it was early in Seaver's career.

Also, because Seaver was pitching against Gibson ... and Gibson was pitching against the Mets ... naturally, since the Mets are the team for which Seaver played early in his career.

I am not sure I follow, and I definitely don't see the parallel between Gibson-v.-Seaver and Penny-v.-Peavy, but I'd like ask you about the NL MVP in 1971. Got any good anecdotes about the 1971 NL MVP?

No comments: