Friday, November 19, 2004

Bob Raissman's "well-embedded moles" reveal good news and bad news.

Speaking of broadcasters, one of the best parts of watching YES, even in the offseason, is just to hear Phil Rizzuto call some classic Yankee moment. Just the other day, I happened to see Mattingly homer in his seventh consecutive game. Scooter's call went something like this:

"The Angels missed a good chance to score last inning and ... did he get all of it? ... Holy Cow! ... Holy Cow! ... Holy Cow! ... Mattingly is unbelievable! ... Holy Cow!"

Then, Bill White has to interject what is actually happening in the game. You know, stuff like Mattingly hit a homerun and the score is such-and-such and the homerun went to left field.

Damn, I miss the Scooter. Great stuff.

Anyway, on to the revelations of Raissman's "well-embedded moles":

Good news ... "Steiner, the Yankee radiocaster whose contract has expired, has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Ross Porter in the Dodgers' broadcast booth."

Actually, I'm being unfair. I kind of like Steiner. I don't mind his Rizzuto-esque flubs, and he's definitely less irritating than Michael Kay (Poor Michael Kay can no longer bore us with his detailed descriptions of team uniforms, since he's on television). In fact, like a lot of baseball fans, I prefer to turn down the volume on the TV and listen on the radio.

Unless ... "Suzyn Waldman, YES' Yankees reporter, likely would move into the WCBS-AM radio booth to work with John Sterling."

Yikes!

If that occurred, then I'd have to turn down the volume on the TV and also turn down the volume on the radio.

I'd have to watch the game on TV and, for commentary, listen to the voices in my head.



No comments: