Sunday, September 25, 2005

I will remember what you said.

Anybody who thinks Alex Rodriguez is the MVP is a Yankee stooge:

"One poor lost soul, the winner going away of this week's Get a Life Award, called the Daily News four separate times the other day, pleading A-Rod's case.

Now even the Yankee announcers go along."

It wasn't me who called the Daily News, I swear. But Mike Lupica shouldn't give up his Get a Life Award so easily.

You earned it, Mike! Hold on to it!

I mean, what is it like to be in the minority and think you're in the majority? How could a person be so out of touch?


"Friday night, A-Rod stole second base in a 4-0 game, his 16th stolen base, and I knew what was coming next the same as you know lightning follows thunder.

Jim Kaat - and everybody knows I usually love Kaat's work - stepped right up for A-Rod, explaining that A-Rod can run and David Ortiz can't."

Everybody knows that Mike Lupica usually loves Kaat's work. It's common knowledge. Ask your mom, ask your grandmom, ask the Pope, ask the President, ask the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker.


"A-Rod also looks much nicer in a baseball uniform, I think that should count for something ... Defense only becomes an essential part of the MVP conversation when a Red Sox DH has a chance to beat a Yankee out of the award."

While the MVP voting is often inconsistent, fielding and baserunning are always part of the equation. When ARod won an MVP two seasons ago while playing for a last place team, his gold glove shorstop play was a major reason. When Ivan Rodriguez when an MVP in 1999, his gold glove play at catcher was a major reason.

No DH has ever won an MVP. Cecil Fielder had back-to-back fifty-homerun seasons when fifty homeruns were rare, and he didn't even win one MVP. He lost to Rickey Henderson and Cal Ripken.

Hmmm ... How could that happen? ... Since MVP voters never pay attention to defense and baserunning?

When I say Rickey, you say "baserunning" ... When I say Ripken, you say "defense."

Maybe, just maybe, Jim Kaat and many others truly believe Alex Rodriguez is the most valuable player in the AL this season. Lupica thinks we all are just wearing pro-Yankee blinders.

Look, we know Lupica has a hardon for all things Red Sox, but now he's telling you to ignore what you see with your own eyes, everyday, on the baseball field.


My favorite part of Lupica's argument is his complete disavowal of the importance of fielding and baserunning. How convenient for him. I'm sure defense will suddenly become important again when Theo Epstein or Omar Minaya sign Doug Mintkayvitch.

But I won't forget what Lupica said. I'll remember the next time he tries to convince me that Jose Reyes is better than Derek Jeter.

No comments: