Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Joe was trying to do some things, no question.

"I can't worry about that," Torre said yesterday before the Yankees took sole possession of the American League wild-card lead with a 7-3 victory over the Athletics. "I worry about trying to make moves to win a game, as opposed to how to explain it."

Joe, can't you at least try to explain the moves to yourself? Have an internal dialogue. Don't worry about the sportswriters, just worry about looking yourself in the mirror and sleeping well at night.


Proposition: I should try a double steal with two runners on and no outs, with Sheffield and Rodriguez coming up.

Proposition: I should bring in Alan Embree to face Paul Konerko with the game on the line.

Proposition: I should emphasize "aggressive" small ball with a team that's going to hit 200 homeruns.


Debate the issue with yourself and then make a decision. That is all I ask.

Little Pro Joe Torre on the right shoulder vs. little Con Joe Torre on the left shoulder.

Put down the bottle of Poland Spring and exercise that frontal lobe, Joe!


"Making moves" and "explaining moves" are not opposing acts. They are absolutely inseparable.

If you can explain why you made a move, and the explanation is satisfactory, then you're going to make intelligent decisions. Guess what results from making intelligent decisions? The Yankees will win more games! Quod erat demonstrandum.


In an apparent attempt to win Understatement of the Year, Ken Davidoff summarizes the situation thusly:

"Even the most ardent Torre supporter would struggle to contend that he's a tactical genius."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's up guys,

I just got word of a really interesting contest called “Voice of the Yankees” that I think all Yanks fans should check out. The legendary announcer, Bob Sheppard, is judging a contest to find the New York area’s best amateur announcer. Five finalists will get to compete in front of Bob! I hear there's a sick prize for the winner too! Check out
www.bankofamerica.com/startinglineup
for more info. I don’t know about you- but I’m definitely entering!