Thursday, February 21, 2008

You're not going to win any games with small ball.

If you ever stumble across the YES Network's Yankee Classics broadcast of the 1996 home opener, please take note of the ridiculous batting order.

Joe Torre had freakin' Joe Girardi batting second.

Torre trying to spread the word that this was going to be an NL-style small ball team.

How dumb.

Why don't you fast-forward eight years and bat Bernie Williams fourth in a playoff game and try a hit-and-run in the first inning with Johan Santana on the mound?

Now, I think I'm going to like Girardi as a manager. I liked him as a broadcaster and he was the guy I wanted for the job. I also like most of what he is saying so far -- what's not to like?

Then:

"He mentioned working hard in camp and doing the little things right, in case the Yankees need to win some games with 'small ball.' "

Damn.

Damn, damn, DAMN.

No comments: