Thursday, March 15, 2007

Greed is preferable to sloth.

"You're asking me what my sincere feeling is. I want to 100 percent stay in New York. Period. That's it. I don't know how many ways I can say it."

-- Alex Rodriguez

"I know I have one more year. After that, I don't know what's going to happen. Definitely I want to finish my career here, but if they don't give the respect that I deserve, I have to move on."

-- Mariano Rivera


As for ARod's "loyalty pledge," I don't believe he used the word "loyal" one time during the interview.

No matter how screwed-up ARod is in the head, I hope he doesn't believe in fairy tales like "loyalty."

Surely, ARod noticed how the Yankees treated Bernie Williams. Or how the Yankees treated Gary Sheffield. Or how Andy Pettitte treated the Yankees, and the Astros, and maybe the Yankees again in a couple of years. Or how Roger Clemens treated the Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Yankees.

Greed is good. Free agency is good. Opt-outs are good. Loyalty is bad. It's a situation that keeps everybody on their toes.

No comments: