Sunday, December 09, 2007

You can't be a little pregnant.

World's Greatest Human Caught Cheating:

"In the same week that Barry Bonds stood in a courtroom and issued not-guilty pleas to felony charges that are primarily about him being a stone liar on the subject of steroids and performance-enhancing drugs, Jay Gibbons of the Orioles did something rather amazing in baseball:

He told the truth.

'I am deeply sorry for the mistakes I have made,' Gibbons said. 'I have no excuses and bare [sic] sole responsibility for my decisions.' "

It's "bear" sole responsibility, not "bare" sole responsibility, you pathetic, stupid so-called professional "writers" and "editors."

This is New York, for crying out loud. A newspaper for New York City. This is not the Sunshine Street Elementary School newsletter.

Before acting like the arbiter the nation's morality, start with the basics: Pick up a pocket copy of Strunk and White.

In all seriousness, proper use of the English language just makes you seem smart, even if you're not. Your argument will naturally karry more wait. If you don't believe me, axe Curt Schilling.


I've said it before and I'll say it again. In Lupica's mind, Gibbons is seemingly less guilty than Bonds because:

1) Gibbons is not a good baseball player.

2) Gibbons is contrite.

3) Gibbons is white.

If I was Barry Bonds, I'd have no reason to think otherwise.

5 comments:

james said...

When I read Lupica's article today I remembered the congressional inquiry scene from quiz show when the first two congress man to speak were charmed by the admission of guilt by Charles Van Doren after being caught cheating. I think one of them called him brave. He teeth were smashed in by the third congressman. Some one should smash Lupica's teeth in.

Anonymous said...

If Gibbons' quote was from a written statement, then the paper has to re-print it as it appeared if they want to put it in quotes.

Somehow, I can't imagine that the Daily News would have let that get by otherwise, even if you don't like them.

Darren Felzenberg said...

If so, then give it a [sic]. No excuses. Somebody messed up somewhere.

Darren Felzenberg said...

Your confidence in the columnists, spell checkers, and editors of the vaunted New York Daily News is quite unfounded.

It occurred to me that the source was the AP, or whatever, but Mike Lupica's name is on the column and it reflects poorly on him, like it or not.

Writing is not my chosen profession and that sentence pierced my brain like an arrow. (With great visual imagery like that, maybe I should go pro.) Somebody, somewhere in the supply stream of American journalism, should have caught it.

Anonymous said...

Based on what you found from the Baltimore paper, you are correct. Bad job by them.