Friday, August 27, 2004

Kruk <3 Jeter.

Duh:

"Now, I know people can throw all kinds of numbers at me, telling me why there are better players out there than Jeter.

I know all that stuff. I'll be the first to admit that Jeter isn't the best hitter. He isn't the best shortstop or the best base runner, either. But you put what he has all together, and you'd be crazy not to make him the cornerstone of your team.


Yes, Bonds will probably break Hank Aaron's home run record; and a few years later, A-Rod might even catch him. Even knowing all that, I'll still take Jeter."


The Felz Kwik-N-Ez Path to Enlightenment: Just read whatever John Kruk has to say, and think the opposite.

I mean ... when? ... who? ... what the heck? ... why? ... how did this guy get a job at ESPN and a baseball column in the first place? Whose job is he taking?

Just because Kruk "broke into the majors in 1986; and since that time, I've either been in games, been watching games or been talking to guys who have done both."

Hey, I've got two out of three of those criteria. Since 1986, I have been watching games and talking to guys who watch games. Additionally, I can write complete, fairly coherent sentences in the English language.

Few Yankee fans would rip Jeter after all he has done for their team, and ripping Jeter is certainly not my intention. But before one claims a player is the best player in the majors, one should at least present an argument that the player is extraordinarily good at something besides trying hard.



No comments: