Friday, April 15, 2005

Last in the NL East, first in our hearts.

Even though both NY teams are tied for last place in their division after nine games, it's a first-place tie in the Battle for New York!

Kevin Kernan picks his favorite:

"YANKEE FANS won't want to hear this, but right now, the Mets are the most interesting show in New York."

I don't want to hear this! I don't want to hear this!

I'm not listening, I'm not listening!

"Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb. La la la la la. Kevin Kernan is talking but I can't hear him, I can't hear him!"


"The Mets have added speed, Pedro Martinez, defense, athleticism and personality. They are a blend of youth and veterans with youngsters Reyes, 21; David Wright, 22; and Carlos Beltran, a young superstar at 27. With this win, combined with the Yankees' 8-5 loss to the Red Sox, the Mets have the same record as the aging, corporate Bombers: 4-5. Not bad, considering Willie Randolph's club started the season with five straight losses."

Yo busco! Yo quiero!

I can feel it happening right now. I'm becoming a Mets fan. I can't help myself.

True, the Mets have the highest payroll in the National League and they probably won't finish higher than third place in their own division. But they're something about them: They're so athletic. They're so spicy. They're sassy.


"Cliff Floyd missed his second straight game with a pulled ribcage muscle, and Kaz Matsui was out because of a scratched cornea as a result of a contact-lens problem. Evidently, he suffered the injury while sleeping.

Even the Mets' injuries are more interesting."


It's true.

Last night, while Ruben Sierra was batting at Fenway vs. Keith Foulke ... with bases loaded and two outs in the top of the ninth inning ... with the Yankees down by three runs ... I was suddenly bored with the my aging, corporate Favorite Team.

My hand reached for the remote, seemingly with a mind of its own. I switched the channel to MSG Network, on the edge of my seat, hoping for an update on Cliff Floyd's ribcage muscle.

Because rooting for the Yankees is so passe.

You win, Kevin Kernan. You've convinced me and probably tens of millions of other Yankee fans. The Mets are kewl, the Yankees drool.

Let's Go Mets!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Los Mets es muy caliente!!!