Thursday, October 18, 2007

Double Take.

When I first pondered this passage from Bob Klapisch, I was offended by the notion that the Yankee baseball seasons should be regarded as a Joe Torre farewell tour:

"By getting a final, two-year deal, Torre would enjoy what amounts to a multi-summer farewell tour, and he'd be rewarded for keeping alive the longest golden era in Yankee history. He'd also have the opportunity to close out the old Stadium after 2008 and have a chance to manage in the new ballpark when it opens in April 2009."

Upon closer inspection, Klapisch just referreed to the years 1996 - 2007 as the "longest golden era in Yankee history."

Stuff I know off the top of my head, which I am not even paid to know, which disputes Klapisch's contention:

-- Yogi Berra has ten rings.

-- The Yankees won five straight Championships between 1949 and 1953.

-- Between 1949 and 1962, the Yankees won twelve AL pennants and nine Championships

-- Babe Ruth.

No comments: