Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I actually enjoy Curt Schilling's blog.

I found this more interesting and oddly insightful than 100 Lupica columns where he compares baseball to boxing:

"Filing for free agency is weird. I never knew or thought about how it happened. Representing myself I rounded up the legal details and figured out exactly how it works. For the next 15 days I can speak with other teams, and they can contact me, but no details can be discussed. They can only express interest. For the next 15 days the team that remains my first choice, the Sox, have exclusive rights. I guess I’ll find out how closely teams follow rules…..

So this huge thing, free agency, was accomplished by doing the following.

Place a phone call to the MLBPA, tell them you want to become a free agent, hang up.

Weird. Something that can be so life altering was pretty much a 48 second phone call. They file a letter with the commissioners office 'A letter of intent' that lists all the players filing that day, and it’s official."

No comments: