Tuesday, May 20, 2008

She knows from being not paid attention to.

I don't even know what Hank said this time. I didn't read it carefully. I think he's unhappy with Cashman and patient with Girardi. That kind of makes sense to me.

"What about Hank Steinbrenner? Well what about him? He has a lot to say. Yet how much impact do his words have on Girardi, the players, or anyone else in the Yankee organization?

That's the question Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts asked Suzyn (Georgie Girl) Waldman on WFAN before Sunday night's Mets-Yankees game.

'No. I don't think anybody pays attention (to Hank Steinbrenner),' Waldman said. '... Every time Hank goes out and says something, 10 minutes later he's saying, "Well, that's not exactly what I meant to say." ' "

Saturday, Waldman was explaining how the Mets had made a big mistake saving Santana for the Yankees series because, due to Friday night's rainout, Santana was given two extra days' rest.

Ten minutes later, I was trying to forget what she said.


Earlier this season, Waldman spent a lot of time explaining how Jose Molina was practically the second coming of Johnny Bench.

Ten minutes later, I was trying to forget what she said.


I believe my least favorite Waldmanism is her insistence that a batter will get "one good pitch to hit" in every at-bat. She seems to believe that every batter will get one good pitch in every at-bat and, also, that every at-bat will consist of exactly one good pitch. Therefore, every time a batter fouls off a hanging curve, Waldman will claim that the batter fouled off the "one good pitch" he will see during this at-bat.

I don't believe Waldman is joking or being intentionally apocryphal.

I think she is being literal.

I think she literally believes every at-bat consists of one good pitch to hit.

Ten minutes later, I try to forget what she said.

But I can not.

These things are burned into my brain.

No comments: